Fiber-rich and oh-so satisfying on a chilly winter evening, this lovely soup can simmer on the stove in the afternoon and be ready for dinner. Serve with a warm, crusty loaf of whole wheat bread and a small green salad.
Healthy Lentil and Tomato Soup
16 ounces lentils, rinsed
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
30 ounces whole tomatoes, peeled or tomato sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 quarts water
1 cup small type pasta of your choice
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Place lentils in stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add Italian seasoning to taste. Saute garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Pour both oil and garlic into water and lentils.
- Add juice from can of tomatoes. Take tomatoes and squeeze them in your hand over stockpot, dropping in after crushing.
- Add a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes. Simmer soup for 1-2 hours until lentils are soft, and broth has reduced a bit.
- Taste, add salt and pepper if needed.
- Separately boil enough pasta to add to bowls of soup.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Variations include adding some sliced black olives, or slices of cooked and browned Italian sausage.
*Recipe and image courtesy of FaveDiets.com.*