While regular exercise is important to maintain your weight and protect your overall health, there are a few creative tricks that you can use to burn extra calories on a daily basis. Burning extra calories definitely adds up, meaning that you may be able to naturally shed a few pounds each year.
- Run your afternoon errands. Carrying groceries or heavy dry-cleaning while walking briskly can burn more than 100 calories in a half-hour. Bet you didn’t think that an afternoon of errands would provide a benefit in burning extra calories, did you?
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Every minute of climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator will burn a whopping 7 calories.
- Fidget more often. If you have been accused of fidgeting recently, that may be a good thing! Studies have shown that fidgeting, like tapping your toes or walking around the house, will burn up to 800 more calories per day.
- Work out to your favorite music. Exercisers who listen to their favorite music are likely to work out for 25% longer, meaning 25% more calories burned.
- Pace when talking on the phone. If you pace back and forth while talking on the phone at home or in your office, you could actually burn 100 extra calories per day.
- Make out like teenagers. Every moment that you kiss burns one extra calorie – what a great reason to reconnect with your significant other today!
- Play games with your kids. Playing a game like hopscotch can burn several hundred calories within a half-hour. For the greatest burn, tap into your inner child and play with intensity!
- Dance like you mean it. Not only is dancing a wonderful stress reliever, but dancing for an hour could burn several hundred calories. This is the perfect excuse to head out for a ladies night with your girlfriends and go dancing.
- Get some much needed rest. When you sleep for a full night of seven hours, you burn 200 calories in the process. Additionally, making sure that you get the sleep you need will make it easier to stick to a regular exercise and healthy eating plan.
- Take up the hula hoop. If you’re looking for new and interesting ways to burn calories, a hula hoop just might do the trick. Using a hula hoop for 10 minutes will burn almost 50 calories; when you engage your core while using the hula hoop, it will also tone and shape your midsection.
Bethany Ramos is an aesthetician that co-owns her own website, The Coffee Bump. For a great selection of Bunn Coffee Makers, check out Bethany Ramos’ website today!