Fresh Apple ’n’ Cheddar Cupcakes
1 recipe Fresh Apple Cake
24 Vermont sharp Cheddar cheese slices
Toasted walnut pieces (optional)
1. Prepare Fresh Apple Cake as directed; do not cool.
2. Top each cupcake while still warm with 1 cheese slice; top with walnuts, if desired.
Fresh Apple Cake
1⁄2 cup butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
Paper baking cups
Vegetable cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apple.
4. Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
*Recipe and image courtesy of The Big Book of Cupcakes, presented by Southern Living.*