For those on a raw food diet, or those who wish to create a dessert that requires no baking in the heat of summer, look no further than this fresh torte filled with bananas and raspberries! YUM!
Brianna’s Raspberry Banana Ice Cream Torte
2 cups raw almonds
2 cups raw dates
1 T. vanilla extract, divided
8 bananas (5 peeled and frozen for at least 24 hours)
2 cups fresh or frozen organic raspberries
1 cup cocoa or carob powder
1 cup raw almond, cashew or sunflower seed butter, reserving 2 T.
Shredded, unsweetened coconut for garnish
1. In a food processor, grind the almonds to a fine powder. While still processing, add one cup of dates, a couple at a time. Add 1 tsp. vanilla. Process until it forms into a ball.
2. Remove the ball of crust from the processor and press it into a 9-inch springform pan, covering the bottom and up the side about one inch.
3. Thinly slice one of the fresh bananas, covering the crust with a single layer of banana slices.
4. Place the crust into the freezer while preparing the next layer.
5. In the processor, process three frozen bananas (broken into pieces), 2 tsp. vanilla, and the nut butter (reserving 2 T. for later), the remaining cup of dates and cocoa or carob powder. Process this mixture until smooth.
6. Take the crust out of the freezer and spread the mixture over the sliced banana.
7. Thinly slice another fresh banana in a layer over the carob mixture.
8. Place the pan back in the freezer while preparing the raspberry layer.
9. In the food processor, process the remaining 2 frozen bananas and any remaining fresh banana with 1 cup of the raspberries, 2 T of raw agave or honey and the reserved 2 T. of reserved nut butter until smooth.
10. Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the raspberry layer on top of the sliced bananas.
11. Sprinkle coconut over the top of the torte and line the remaining raspberries around the edge of the pan.
12. Cover and place in the freezer for 4-6 hours or (preferably) overnight.
13. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and allow to that 15-20 minutes before removing the outer ring from the pan.
14. Place torte on a cake platform and garnish with mint, if desired.
15. Slice and serve.
16. Place unused portion back into the freezer immediately.
Makes 16 servings.
*Recipe and image courtesy of Beyond Healthy Recipes.*