Summer is the time for travel and whether you’re headed to fish on the lake or sit on a sandy beach, you don’t have to abandon your worries AND your weight loss regimen. Dr. Wayne Andersen, author of the bestselling book, “Dr.A’s Habits of Health” wants to keep you on track with some of his healthy travel tips:
Tips for Healthy Summer Travel
- Before you pack, be sure to ask the hotel if they have a gym or pool and bring appropriateclothes to get some exercise. (No excuses!)
- Bring healthy snacks for the road / plane. Items like a Medifast Crunch Bars are greatoptions because they’re satisfying, portable and contain less sodium and calories than airplane snacks or fast food options.
- Drink lots of water. Any sort of traveling is taxing on the body and you’ll want to keep hydrated.
- Remember that alcohol will let down your defenses and is full of empty calories and carbs! It is best to choose club soda or a diet drink with your meals.
- Make healthy choices. Some days you may have to have both lunch and dinner out, so make the best of it and choose wisely.
- Don’t worry about losing weight; sometimes the stress of traveling will slow your weight loss. The main objective is not to gain weight!
- Remember to bring your journal to jot down both memories from the trip as well as what you ate to help you keep track of calories.
- Last but not least – Have A Great Time!
About the Author
Dr. Wayne Andersen is the Medical Director for Take Shape for Life Wellness program. He is board certified in internal medicine and specializes in weight management. Dr.Andersen graduated from University of Florida. Involved withJ ohns Hopkins in collaborating studies to show the efficacy of meal replacements, Dr. Andersen’s goal is to provide simple, convenient means for people to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. As the chief architect of Take Shape for Life, Dr. Andersen has built an integrated support system that helps people make the necessary changes in their lifestyles to create optimal health.