2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
1¼ pounds fresh, lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 slices fresh pineapple (or can pineapple substitute)
4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, split
1 cup of favorite dark green leaf lettuce
1. Prepare outdoor grill for cooking.
2. Whisk together honey, mustard and mint in small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place ground turkey in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Divide ground turkey into fourths and shape into patties about 4 ½ inches in diameter. Brush both sides of the patties with honey mustard glaze and place on the grill. Cook until golden brown on one side, about five to eight minutes. Turn over, and continue grilling. Glaze each side one additional time while grilling. Grill burgers about 15 to 20 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into center reaches at least 160 F.
4. When burgers are completely cooked, remove from grill. While the turkey burgers are cooking, brush the slices of pineapple with oil and grill for one to two minutes per side or until golden brown.
5. Place the buns on the grill and heat for 20 to 30 seconds. Remove from the grill and place a burger on the bottom half of each bun. Top each burger with a slice of pineapple and lettuce leaves.
*Recipe and image courtesy of registered dietitian, Alicia Brown, who is also the Health & Wellness Marketing Manager at a Texas-based grocery chain called Market Street, subsidiary of United Supermarkets grocers.*