This deliciously moist cake is chock-full of carrots, nuts, and raisins. It provides a great way to sneak in vegetables for National 5 a Day Month since it boasts one full pound of carrots! It is absolutely to die for, and will not last long in the kitchen…. “Mom” made it today and oh my, are you in for a treat!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
• 2⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
• 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
• 4 large eggs
• 1 (15-ounce) package gluten-free yellow cake mix (such as Betty Crocker)
• 1 (3.4-ounce) package gluten-free vanilla instant pudding mix
• 3 1⁄3 cups grated carrot (about 1 pound carrots)
• 3⁄4 cup raisins
• 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
• Cooking spray
• 6 ounces 1⁄3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
• 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl; beat at medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until batter is smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. (Batter will be thick.) Fold in carrot, raisins, and walnuts. Spoon batter evenly into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended.
5. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1⁄2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
Yield: 22 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
CALORIES 332; FAT 10.4g (sat 2.2g, mono 2.9g, poly 4.2g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CARB 59.4g; FIBER 1.1g;
CHOL 44mg; IRON 0.5mg; SODIUM 119mg; CALC 28mg
*Recipe and image courtesy of The Cooking Light Gluten-Free Cookbook.*