Wheat-Free Orange Quinoa Muffins
3/4 cup rolled oats (for gluten-free, omit oats and double quinoa)
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1-1/4 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 large ripe banana
1/3 cup apple juice
2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. canola oil
2 egg whites
2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the rolled oats into a fine flour. Add it to the cooked quinoa and mix in the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Grate one orange for zest and set aside. Remove pith, chop segments into small pieces and place in large bowl. Peel other two oranges and separate the segments.
4. In food processor, process the banana with apple juice, whole orange segments, brown sugar, honey, oil, egg and egg whites. Pour into the bowl with chopped orange segments. Stir in the dates and orange zest and mix well. Add banana-orange batter to dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
5. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack; serve warm or let cool.