Fun to say and even more fun to eat, chicken tinga tacos are extra tender and moist due to a dip in Green Valley Organics Kefir and a slow roast in the oven (or crock pot). Short on time? Simply marinate the chicken for one hour, skip the oven and fire up the grill.
Chicken Tinga Tacos with Avocado Chile Crema and Chipotle Lime Slaw
2 cups Green Valley Organics Plain Kefir
6 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (divided)
2 tsp. salt
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 12-oz. Mexican beer (Dos Equis, Corona, Sol)
Avocado Chile Crema
2 ripe avocadoes, peeled and pitted
1/3 cup Green Valley Organics Sour Cream
Juice of one lime
1 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotles
Salt to taste
Crunchy corn taco shells or soft corn or flour tortillas
1 recipe Chipotle Lime Slaw*
1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack or crumbled cotija cheese (omit for a lactose free dinner)
1 cup prepared pico de gallo
Chopped cilantro and lime wedges
Your favorite hot sauce
1. Mix together kefir with 3 chopped canned chipotle peppers and salt in a bowl. Add chicken. Make sure the chicken is covered with the kefir mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from kefir mixture and add to skillet, searing on both sides until browned, turning once, about 5 minutes, per side.
3. Stir together tomatoes and remaining chipotles and garlic in a 9X13 baking dish. Layer onions over tomatoes and place chicken on top of the onions. Pour the beer over everything, cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
4. While the chicken bakes, make the avocado chile crema. Place avocados, sour cream, lime juice, adobo in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
5. When chicken is done, remove from pan and shred using two forks. Add back to the tomato, onion, chipotle sauce and stir until well coated.
6. To make tacos, layer chipotle slaw, chicken tinga, cheese and pico de gallo. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
Serves 4 – 6.
PER SERVING (2 tacos): 487 CAL; 29G PROT; 24G TOTAL FAT (8G SAT. FAT); 22G CARB; 87MG CHOL; 234MG SOD; 8G FIBER; 3G SUGARS
*Chipotle Lime Slaw
1 6-oz. cup Green Valley Organics Plain Yogurt
1/4 cup Green Valley Organics Kefir
2 to 3 Tbs. honey or agave nectar (to taste)
2 to 3 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotles (to taste)
Juice and zest from 1 lime (2 Tbs. juice)
1 14–oz. bag classic cole slaw mix (shredded red and green cabbage and carrots)
1 small bunch green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
Whisk together yogurt, kefir, honey, adobo, lime juice and zest and salt to taste in a large bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste. Fold in cole slaw mix, green onions and cilantro. Chill until ready to serve.
Chef’s Tip: Add crunch and color to this zippy slaw with 1/3 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds).
Makes 6 servings.
*Recipes and image courtesy of Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm .*