Saffron Scented Vegetable Risotto
6-7 cups (about) vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups Quorn™ Chik’n Tenders
6 oz. asparagus, washed, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup minced shallots
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 generous pinch saffron
1 pkg. (6 oz.) baby spinach leaves
¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Additional grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring 7 cups broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Add Quorn™ Chik’n Tenders. Simmer 5 minutes then using a slotted spoon, transfer Tenders to small bowl.
2. Next place asparagus into simmering broth; cook 1-2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to bowl containing Tenders. Cover with foil to keep warm. BE SURE TO KEEP THE REMAINING SIMMERING BROTH.
3. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots & garlic and sauté 3-4 minutes or until softened.
4. Add rice and stir 2 minutes or until edge of rice is translucent but center is still opaque. Add wine and saffron. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes or until wine is absorbed. Add about 1 cup hot broth. Simmer, stirring often, 2 minutes or until almost all broth is absorbed, Continue to add broth, about 1 cup at a time, until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, stirring often and allowing almost all broth to be absorbed after each addition, about 25 minutes total. During last 5 minutes, add spinach in 3 batches, stirring and allowing spinach to wilt after each addition.
5. Mix in reserved Tenders, asparagus, peas and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon risotto into shallow bowls and serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*For a “spicier” dish, try using baby arugula instead of the spinach.
*Don’t forget, sweet onions can always be used instead of the shallots.
*Recipe and image provided by Quorn™.*