5 Green and Natural Flu Remedies for Children
The flu season is definitely upon us, and if you’ve paid any heed to the news over the last couple of months you’ve likely already gotten flu shots for the whole family. Unfortunately, there seem to be several strains going around, which means you and your kids might not escape the flu this year. And with the majority of strains being viral rather than bacterial, the best you can do is treat the symptoms and ride it out since antibiotics are useless. Of course, if you catch it early enough you might be able to stave off the worst of the side effects with a prescription for Tamiflu, but kids are still bound to suffer all the hallmarks of the bug, including fever, body aches, and cold symptoms like coughing, congestion, and sore throat, even if only to a lesser degree. So you’re likely looking for a few good ways to cut down on their discomfort while they’re laid up. And if you want to skip the yucky syrups that make them feel even more out of whack, here are a few good green and natural remedies that can help them to overcome the symptoms of the flu and get back on their feet in no time.
1. Hydration. Your mom always told you to drink plenty of fluids when sick, and it’s a lesson you can now pass on to your own kids. When struck by the flu, your children may not be in the mood to ingest much, but they need to flush the virus from their system as well as stay hydrated, so it’s important to make sure they’re getting plenty of liquids. Nourishment, even in small measure, can also help to relieve symptoms, which is why chicken broth is such a popular food for those best by the flu.
2. Tea with honey. Hot liquids can help to relieve a sore throat and clear nasal passages, but herbal tea in particular can also help to soothe vocal cords that are raw from coughing. In addition, honey has anti-inflammatory properties and it has been known to settle the stomach. In short, hot tea with honey packs a one-two punch of relief for children suffering from flu symptoms.
3. Oscillococcinum. This homeopathic remedy (made from highly diluted duck liver) is said to reduce flu symptoms and even decrease the duration the flu. It doesn’t prevent the virus or treat the symptoms, per se, but it is a natural remedy that could just help your kids to suffer less if taken immediately after flu symptoms appear.
4. Vitamin D. I know what you’re thinking: that should say vitamin C, shouldn’t it? In truth, vitamin C has many wonderful properties, but helping to shorten the duration of a virus or lessen its symptoms is not among them. Vitamin D, on the other hand, has been shown in studies to boost your body’s production of a virus-killing protein called cathelicidin that could actually help with the flu. So give the kids vitamin D fortified milk or make sure that their daily vitamin has the recommended dose of this essential supplement since it could just help their bodies to fight off the flu virus.
5. Rest. You don’t need to search environmental data resources to know that the best natural remedy for kids trying to overcome illness is plenty of rest. When the body and mind are resting, cell turnover and healing increase, giving your kids the best chance for a speedy recovery.
*Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.*