We all want to have the gorgeous, glossy tresses that we see on shampoo commercials and red carpets, but some of us aren’t willing to increase our carbon footprint in the process. If you find yourself torn between using the products that are going to tame your mane and doing your part to ensure a greener tomorrow for future generations, you need not fret. As it turns out, you’re not the only eco-minded idealist looking to realize a greener lifestyle while still enjoying the benefits afforded by modern beauty products. And the good news is that there are a slew of hair care solutions that can give you the luscious locks you seek while doing less harm to the environment. Here are just a few that you may want to check out.
1. Alterna Bamboo shampoos and conditioners. Made with organic bamboo (and other) extracts, Alterna’s hair products smell amazing and leave your locks feeling clean and healthy. You’ll also appreciate the fact that they’re free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, sodium chloride, and toxic chemicals that populate other shampoos and conditioners. Many also contain antioxidants to repair damage caused by free radicals (created by exposure to the sun, chemicals, and so on), as well as a variety of natural ingredients that will make your hair soft, shiny, and super healthy. And they’re certified organic.
2. Dr. Bronner’s organic soaps. Dr. Bronner’s specializes in 100% organic products that are certified to USDA and Fair for Life standards (for organic and fair trade organizations, respectively). In addition, they’re meant to be sustainable thanks to 3-in-1 functionality that means you can use both the classic liquid and bar soaps for your skin, your hair, and even your laundry. In addition, the liquid soap is meant to be diluted in water, as it is concentrated, so a 2-ounce bottle could last you just as long as a much larger bottle of shampoo. Plus, the pure Castile formula denotes a vegetable oil base that will help to keep your hair soft and shiny.
3. Kiss My Face styling products. This company may be better known for their skin care products, which smell like heaven and work like a charm, but don’t discount their styling products that offer the same benefits for your hair. Although the products are touted as “natural” rather than organic (which, as you know, means very little), the ingredients are all plant-based, so at least you won’t have to worry about toxic chemical additives (although there’s no guarantee that the plants included weren’t subjected to chemical fertilizers and pesticides). However, they also use recycled materials in their packaging and their products are cruelty-free. Kiss My Face might not have the greenest credentials, but they’re better than most. And you really can’t beat their yummy scents.
4. Henna. If you’re looking for an alternative to the harsh chemical hair dyes that you’re used to, all-natural henna offers a plant-based solution that allows you to enjoy the versatility to alter your appearance without doing irreparable damage to your hair (or the environment). In addition, it’s not permanent, so you can change it up frequently if you want to.
5. Natural oils. No matter how many hot roller and flat iron reviews you read, you’ll be hard pressed to find heat treatments that don’t damage your hair. So if you want the straight strands or curly coifs they can offer you’ll simply have to protect your hair beforehand or repair the damage after the fact. And the truth is that you don’t need any specialized or pricy products to get the job done. With natural oils like organic olive, coconut, avocado, or almond (amongst others) you can help to seal the cuticle of your hair in addition to moisturizing your scalp. You’ll do no harm to the planet in the process and you can have the incredible hair you’ve always wanted.