This hearty and healthy green, beans and grain recipe became an instant favorite of Registered Dietitian Tamara Duker Freuman, who specializes in medical nutrition therapy for digestive disorders. She is also a gluten free blogger for US NEWS & WORLD REPORT’S new health page eat + run and hosts a popular blog devoted to healthy eating and gluten-free living at www.tamaraduker.com.
“If ever there was a Platonic ideal of a superfood salad, this would have to be it. This salad delivers
protein AND iron from the beans and quinoa, as well as calcium from the kale and probiotic-rich kefir
dressing, which is a great way to get more healthful ‘culture’ into your diet. For those folks trying to choose more whole foods with anti-inflammatory benefits, this salad also fits the bill: it’s got unprocessed wholegrain quinoa, complex carbs from beans, inflammation-taming probiotics from the kefir dressing, and a
medley of anti-inflammatory herbs and spices. I love this salad.”
Quinoa-Kale Salad with Kefir-Cumin Dressing
1 cup quinoa
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 Tbs. coarse grain Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Plain Kefir
Salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups finely chopped washed kale
1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat a large saucepan or small Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add quinoa and toast until fragrant and slightly darker in color, a couple of minutes.
3. Add 2 cups of water; cover and bring to a simmer.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is fully
cooked, about 20 minutes longer. Cool quinoa to lukewarm.
5. Meanwhile make dressing by whisking garlic, cumin, mustard, kefir, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of
pepper in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. Slowly whisk in oil to make a thick, flavorful dressing.
6. Place remaining ingredients—kale, kidney beans, apricots, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl. Add
warm quinoa and the dressing; toss to coat.
*Recipe and image courtesy of Redwood Hill Farm.*