Prevent Lice – Naturally!
The kids are back in school…time to start weekly head checks for lice! A recent survey by Fairy Tales Hair Care found that while 93% of parents teach their children the basic prevention tips such as not sharing hats, helmets, brushes and combs, only 56% of parents do a weekly head check. With 12-15 million cases of head lice reported each year in the U.S., these head checks are important!
Studies have shown that a proactive check for lice and their eggs in “hot spots” can help to minimize a lice outbreak. Lice lay eggs (nits) in warm, moist areas around the head. These include behind ears, nape of the neck and at the part lines. By checking these areas with a metal comb designed to remove nits, parents can stay ahead of an outbreak. Lice expert and founder of Fairy Tales Hair Care Risa Barash, recommends the Fairy Tales Terminator Comb as the stainless steel, micro-grooved teeth are gentle on the scalp and catch the smallest of nits.
To assist parents, Fairy Tales Hair Care, makers of the bestselling Rosemary Repel lice prevention products, shared the following easy tips to prevent the spread of lice. While we don’t really like to think about lice on our little ones’ heads, prevention is the best treatment for this all too common issue. A video tutorial and additional tips on lice prevention and removal using chemical free products such as Rosemary Repel and Lice Good-Bye can be found on www.fairytaleshaircare.com.
Lice Prevention Tips
- Avoid sharing personal items such as hats, combs and brushes, hair accessories, towels, pillows, and ear buds. If you must share an item, such as an athletic helmet, wipe it down with a wet cloth before use
- Herbs such as rosemary, citronella and tea tree have been proven to repel head lice; the smell keeps them away
- Keep long hair pulled up in a braid or pony tail
- Avoid daily hair washing when possible. Lice attach more easily to clean hair
- Use hair care products that repel lice naturally with ingredients such as rosemary oil, citronella oil and tea tree oil
- Store each person’s personal items such as jackets, backpacks, hats and scarves in separate cubbies or a sealed bag
For more information on lice treatment and prevention, please visit www.FairyTalesHairCare.com.