Here’s a delicious side dish for any meal this holiday season that uses Brussels sprouts, a vegetable hard to make little ones eat!
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon (or 10 grinds) black pepper
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
2. To prepare the Brussels sprouts, remove any yellow or brown outer leaves, cut off the stems, and cut in half.
3. In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper together. Once all of the Brussels sprouts are coated in oil, spread them in a 9-by-13-inch (or larger) baking dish or sheet tray to roast. Place in oven. (You may want to line your sheet tray with foil for easy cleanup because the caramelizing process leaves a sticky residue.)
4. After 15 minutes, stir the Brussels sprouts with a spatula or large spoon to even out the browning. After 30 minutes, stir in the maple syrup.
5. Continue to roast the Brussels sprouts for about 15 more minutes or until they are fork-tender (about 45 minutes total).
6. Toss the roasted Brussels sprouts with the hazelnuts and devour!
Yield: 6 servings.
Note: Steps 1 through 4 can be done day in advance. Store Brussels sprouts covered in the refrigerator, and finish with Steps 5 and 6 right before serving.