Fun with Kids: Make Your Own Recycled Rainbow Crayons
If you’re like us, you probably have a ton of old & new crayons laying around! Since our little ones only seem to gravitate towards the new, fresh and sharp crayons, we have a large bucket filled with the ones that are not deemed ‘usable’ anymore! This is also a great way to use up all of the crayons you receive from restaurants. So, we took a rainy day afternoon to make our own recycled rainbow crayons!
To Do This Activity, You Will Need the Following:
Crayons (and more crayons!) – wrappers removed
- Preheat oven to the lowest temperature setting. This varies by oven, ours is at 220 degrees F.
- Put cupcake liners into the muffin tin(s).
- Remove the wrappers from the crayons. ***You may need to help your child do this part, as my 5 year old had trouble getting her fingernail under the wrapper to pull it off.
- Break the crayons into small pieces and fill the cupcake liners with the broken crayon pieces. The more colors you use, the more you will have a rainbow effect when done!
- Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake the crayons for 20-30 minutes, or until the wax has melted. Our crayons took longer than 30 minutes, so it will vary by oven.
- Remove the muffin tin; let cool.
- Once cool, remove the cupcake liners from the crayons.
- Use the crayons to color and create!
*This article was written by Tiny Green Mom. All thoughts expressed herein are my own.*