Black Truffles over Fresh Pasta
2 ounces fresh black winter truffles
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
5 anchovy fillets, patted dry and minced
5 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1 pound fresh fettuccine or tagliatelle pasta
2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Mince half of the truffles; set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat until the butter foams. Add the minced truffles, anchovies, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the pasta directly into the reserved frying pan. Add 1 cup of the pasta water and toss over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly and the pasta is coated, adding more pasta water by the tablespoon to reach the desired sauce consistency.
- Remove the pan from heat, add the cheese, and toss until the pasta is well coated. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper as needed. Divide the pasta among 4 or 6 serving bowls and thinly shave or slice the remaining truffles over the pasta. Serve immediately.
*Recipe and image courtesy of CHOW.com.*