Travel expert Nicole Hockin shows us all how to stay committed to the planet even while traveling! Follow her 5 simple travel tips below to ensure you have a healthy, happy (and green!) vacation as you hit the road this summer!
Eco-Friendly Travel Tips
- Choose sustainable hotels such as The Orchard Garden Hotel, San Francisco; Hotel Monaco, Chicago; or Habitat Suites, Austin, Texas.
- Pack your own reusable water bottles. Not only is this cost-effective for you but it significantly cuts down on plastic waste.
- Purchase travel size refillable bottles for toiletries. This is a significant change you can make as solid waste disposal and landfills become an even bigger environmental issue.
- Reuse hotel towels. According to Zerowaste.org, the average amount of water used (in a luxury hotel) is 475 gallons per room/per day.
- Consider alternative transportation. Choosing a hotel that is centrally located to the sites/interests that you are visiting may enable you to eliminate the need for a rental car. Minimize your carbon footprint and get to know an area by walking to nearby sites.
About the Author
You can read all of Nicole Hockin’s tips & travel anecdotes on her blog, Travel Smart Blog.