That is the million dollar question… As a busy mom working and running errands all day long, you may be tempted to pick up fast food for your family from time to time in a pinch. Guilty!
Yet if you know how to eat smart, you can purchase healthier items from fast food restaurants to reduce the calories that you intake and ease the guilt of eating unhealthy foods at the same time…
More and more fast food restaurants are beginning to offer healthier choices; you just need to know what to look for. As a rule of thumb, it is best if a meal does not exceed 500 calories to keep your calorie count low and balanced throughout the day.
- McDonald’s: When you visit the Golden Arches, order a plain hamburger and a side salad. This will give you a serving of vegetables, healthy carbs, and protein to keep you full, and the whole combo only has 270 calories. BUT adding dressing can add hundreds of calories, so eat your salad dry or with lemon slices.
- Taco Bell: Try to order the fresco crunchy taco with a side of veggies or fresh fruit. The taco itself only has 150 calories, and you can add as much hot sauce as you would like since it has 0 calories per serving!
- Wendy’s: At Wendy’s, check out the crispy chicken nuggets and a baked potato with only chives and sour cream. This is a satisfying meal that will weigh in at around 500 calories. Of course, the more sauces and toppings that you add to your baked potato, the more calories that you will be eating.
- Subway: Subway is full of healthy choices, but your best bet is to order the oven roasted chicken breast salad with a yogurt on the side. This will give you plenty of veggies and can benefit your heart if you drizzle the salad in olive oil. The entire meal is only 130 calories, making it an ideal afternoon snack.
- Chipotle: Chipotle is famous for their giant, delicious burritos, which actually pack a serious punch in the calorie department. Try the veggie fajita burrito, and save half for later. When it comes to Chipotle, it is all about portion control. Splitting this burrito will only cost you 280 calories and will keep you full for the rest of the afternoon.
Yes, it really is possible to eat healthy when you are forced to grab fast food on the go. Also, many restaurants now make their nutrition information available online or in iPhone apps. Stay educated and aware to maintain a healthy weight… no matter where you decide to eat!
About the Author
Bethany Ramos is a beauty and health writer that co-owns her own website, The Coffee Bump. For a great selection of the Bunn Coffee Maker, check out Bethany Ramos’ website today!