We all know that life can get really busy, really fast. We spend too much time and far too much energy running around. We also place a lot of importance and strain on our left brains – our rational minds.
Despite all this, somewhere in the back of our mind or hidden deeply in our soul we know the importance of slowing down and connecting to our inner wisdom. It involves connecting to our right brains – the place of deep intuition and creativity that holds so a load answers and so much richness for us. We tend to ignore the right-brain and our intuition when it comes to making choices – it usually results in us thinking “I should have listened to my gut!” Does that sound familiar?
Below is a list, a top five list of ways that will help you settle in, relax and really listen to that treasury of wisdom that your heart and soul are holding onto for you. You don’t need to take a ton of time to tap into the “top five” but they can help make it easier to tap into your inner wisdom!
1) Journaling works best if you write fast, without stopping. Don’t worry about grammar or language – just write. You want to write without judgement or thought and just see what happens. Feel free to start with a provocative phrase like: “I am a woman who…..” or “I am here…” – it’ll help break through your mind’s chatter and zero-in on what your heart and soul want to tell you.
2) Dancing alone can help you connect to your inner wisdom! Put on something that moves you and close your eyes. Take a few deep breathes to feel into your body, and start moving to the beat – feel the music! Be open to where the movements want to take you because dancing isn’t just for the clubs – it’s an emotional experience. After you finish your movement, taking a few moments to share your experience with a partner or write your experience will help you put your inner wisdom that emerged into words.
3) Drawing what’s on your mind on a blank paper without any preconceived notions or judgement or ideas, will help you clear out the clutter. Draw how you feel. Feeling stuck? You can start by asking your inner wisdom a question, and then draw it out. You can ask something as simple as “What do I need to know right now?” which can yield rich imagery that might hold some interesting answers for you.
4) Visualization can be as simple as closing your eyes and calling forth your wise self. See her and and ask her questions. You’ll be amazed at what can come to light!
5) Breathing. It sounds kind of silly but taking just a few minutes to sit still, close your eyes and focus on your breathe, can really help you to slow down, relax, and begin to really connect with your body. Here’s a suggestion: consciously focus on each part of your body, sending a breath to each part, and ask yourself how you feel. Notice where you feel open and where you feel closed.
Connecting to your body in this way is a beautiful opportunity to get present. Take a moment to slow down, relax, and really get in touch with the inner you!
About the Author
Joanna Lindenbaum, M.A., has 12 years of teaching and coaching experience. As a Life Coach at Soulful Coaching for Busy Women, she invites women to think bigger, to embrace their power, to create more compelling and exciting goals for themselves, to become leaders, to connect to their intuition, to open their hearts, and to make it a practice of remembering how special and important they are. Her coaching philosophy centers on a deep respect for the inner wisdom that each woman holds inside of herself. By activating this inner wisdom, Joanna helps her clients achieve extraordinary success in business, career, and life. Sign up for Joanna’s complimentary eCourse – “How to Overcome the 5 Most Common Obstacles to Success.”
*Image provided by Yoga Tune-Up.*