Mini Seafood Empanadas Recipe
3lbs. of scallops
3lbs. of shrimp
3lbs. of shredded crab meat
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 bushel of Cilantro
1 onion and 1 pepper
1 tbs. of Spanish sofrito
3 packages of small spanish style already prepared flour discs ( brings 10 in each package
1 tbs. of Spanish adobo
1 small package of Spanish sazon
1 tbs. of garlic
1 tsp. of pepper
1 tbs. of onion powder
1 1/2 tbs. of cumin powder
Make sure to start 4 to 5 hours before visitors arrive
Gather up all of the ingredients needed to prepare your appetizer
Set up all of your ingredients so that everything is within arms reach
Begin preparing the empanadas
1. Preheat a large skillet filled with 1/2 cup of olive oil on medium heat.
2. Begin chopping up the scallops, shrimp, peppers, cilantro and onions into small pieces
3. Stir in the onions, peppers, and cilantro, allow them to caramelize first before adding the seafood.
4. Add your Spanish seasonings while stirring all the ingredients together.
5. Let it simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, make sure to stir every 5 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes turn off the burner and let it cool off for 1/2 an hour.
Now that the seafood is done, fill the mini empanadas with the already prepared seafood.
1. Take a small spoonful of seafood and place it in the center of each empanada.
2. Fold the empanada in half over the seafood, then with a fork press down on the empanada until it is fully shut. 3. Start to fry each empanada on both sides for 2 minutes each on medium heat until they are done. Finally serve and watch how fast they go!
Depending on how many people attend it is always good to make extra just in case.