10 Easy Steps to Making Your Halloween EEK-O-Friendly
1. Plan ahead to avoid last-minute shopping which often limits your choices.
2. When it coms to costumes, and decor – reuse, borrow, trade purchase used or simply do-it-yourself.
3. Treat bags can be anything! For extra fun, match the bag to the costume using something you already own. Here are some ideas: purses, flowers pots (cover the hole), cloth sacks, backpacks, or lunchboxes.
4. Choose healthier treats. Take baby steps with organic candy and honey sticks, two child-favored choices. (Honey is not suitable for children under two years of age).
5. Choose fun treasures instead of conventional sweets. Think of the treasures your child collects in her pockets – pretty rocks, coins, etc.
6. If you’re giving a party, avoid disposables including napkins, plates, cups, tablecloths and other decor.
7. Walk from house to house instead of driving.
8. Compost pumpkins and any other food, including leftover candy.
9. Collect candy wrappers and help your kids turn them into gift items like purses, bracelets, and picture frames. Find directions online.
10. Avoid purchasing any treats made with palm oil.
Check out GreenHalloween.org for hundreds of fun, fresh ideas!