As powerhouse multi-taskers, moms are superheroes when it comes to getting stuff done. Just being a mother is a full time occupation. Some are even managing going back to college or have full time careers. If this describes you, it is important to realize that your time management skills must extend to taking care of yourself.
A busy mom is very good at ensuring that everyone else’s needs are taken care of, but often neglect themselves. Whether you realize it or not, nutrition is a key component to being able to put your best foot forward. Maintaining a healthy diet doesn’t have to be a challenge with these seven easy tips.
• Prepare a meal plan for yourself. It only takes a few minutes to write out a menu. If you know what you are going to eat for the next two weeks, it will be easy to have everything on hand. Make sure that you include major meals and small snacks.
• Include healthy food choices. An apple is a better choice than a bag of chips. Consider sliced raw veggies with low fat dip, granola, mixed nuts, whole-wheat pretzels, or organic fruit cups.
• Create an organized shopping list. If you are very familiar with your grocery store, you can write your list in the same order that you shop. For example, if the first thing you encounter is the produce section, have your fruits and vegetables at the top of your list.
• Plan for items that are fast, easy to prepare, and travel well. Much in the same way that you plan for your children’s meals on the go, you can do the same for yourself. It doesn’t require a lot of time in the kitchen.
• Individual servings of healthy soups, salads, and sandwiches can be packed in spill proof containers for transportation ease. You can jazz up tomato soup by adding in diced onions, chopped tomatoes, frozen okra, and minced garlic. Lettuce is much more appealing if you add dried fruit, crumbled blue cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette.
• Coffee is not a substitute for a good breakfast. Foods that are laden in protein are a smart way to give your body long lasting energy. Soy products and whey protein are two good things to incorporate.
• If you don’t like to eat fruit, consider drinking it instead. Juicers are being designed so that they are easier to use and clean. You can process an entire week’s worth at once and store it in the refrigerator, or make more and freeze it until you are ready for it. A good combination is organic carrots and apples. You can throw in a handful of berries to make it sweeter. If you add vegetables instead, then you have a sodium free meal substitute.
When rushing between home, school, or work, it is critical not to neglect your body. Healthy eating is the foundation for a strong immune system and longer life. By making smart choices and planning ahead, you will be well on your way to enjoy an improved outlook on nutrition.
Photo credit: studying proctor by Jo Guldi/flickr; food by olle svensson/flickr
About the Author
Author Jenny Masterson is a college enrollment advisor who is passionate about heath and healthcare careers. She also writes for thebestcolleges.org, a website providing lists and information about college degrees, such as online msn programs for nurses.