2 butternut squashes, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 red onions, diced
¼ cup sliced jalapeño chilies (from a can or jar)
1 tbsp mild chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 tomatoes, diced, or 1 cup drained, canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups frozen kernels, thawed
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
A handful of fresh cilantro leaves, torn in pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the squash, onions, and chilies in a roasting pan and season with the chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the grapeseed oil over and toss well.
- Roast until just tender but still with some texture, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and tip into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, corn, Monterey Jack cheese, and cilantro. Mix gently until the cheese begins to melt. Serve warm.
SERVES 4 / PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 25-30 MINUTES
*Recipe courtesy of Charlie Ayers, chef and owner of Calafia Café, Palo Alto, CA.*