One large winter squash, such as butternut
3 teaspoons of chopped ginger
6 cups of chicken stock
3 tablespoons of butter
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
Fresh sage leaves
Day-old bread cut into large cubes (2 inches)
1. Roast squash at 350 degrees F for one hour; let cool.
2. Thinly slice leeks and sweat with butter for 10 minutes.
3. Add the roasted squash, 4 cups of stock, and chopped ginger; simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Puree until smooth, and thin with 2 cups of stock; salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil until shimmering and fry sage leaves for a minute or two; removesage leaves to a paper towel.
2. Lightly coat bread cubes with oil and bake at 400 until brown and crusty (about 10 minutes).
Servings – About 6 cups of soup