If like thousands of other people across the country your New Year’s resolution was to get fitter and lose a few pounds in the New Year, but you have still not managed to make a start implementing your fitness regime, then check out these tips on how to be successful:
• Goal setting – in order to achieve success in any fitness plan there must be clear aims and goals. You can use the SMART term to help you organize these goals and make sure they are effective.
• Specific – They need to be clear and simple, such as ‘I want to lose 2 stone by the end of the year’.
• Measured – you need to be able to quantify them, so that you can accurately track your success. ‘I want to be fitter’ is not very useful.
• Achievable – there is no point in setting goals that are not possible.
• Realistic – you have to be realistic about what you will be able to complete. If your goals are too hard, you will feel like you have failed when you do not have success.
• Time Specific – making the goals time specific ensures that you are working to a timetable, and this will help to motivate you. Saying ‘I want to lose 2 stone’ is not very helpful unless you state when you hope to achieve this goal.
• Time management – time management is the most important thing to plan for each day. The best way of doing this is by setting goals for each day at the start of each week. This way you can focus on what needs to be done and you will have a clear idea of what you are doing each day. This subsequently prevents a lot of wasted time each day. It is important to have a purpose.
• Discipline and attitude – for success when following a fitness program, it is very important that you are self motivated and maintain a positive attitude; otherwise you will quickly lose interest in your goals making them a lot harder to attain. If you have a bad day or week, it is important to draw a line underneath it and try to regain a positive attitude as soon as possible. You are doing it for your own benefit and focusing on this will help you to eventually achieve your end goal.
• Fun – enjoying your fitness activities is essential to long term success. When planning your fitness regime, try to include activities that you really enjoy doing as then it will not seem like hard work.
About the Author