These kid-friendly dessert/breakfast/snack bites are a terrific way to use up several leftovers from your fridge: stale bread, leftover ricotta or cream cheese, and leftover jam. Give these common leftovers new life as a gourmet food – in a snap.
Jammin’ Ricotta Bites
1 cup of stale sandwich bread (with or without crust), cut into bite-size pieces
2 small eggs, beaten
1/2 cup low-fat (2 %) milk
1/3 cup ricotta or cream cheese
1/3 cup jam, such as reduced-sugar strawberry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Butter or lightly oil a 12-cup mini muffin pan.
3. In a medium bowl, mix eggs and milk. Set aside.
4 Place bread pieces into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. Lightly compact bread with yourfingers.
5. Add 1/2 tsp ricotta cheese to muffin cup, then pour 1 Tbsp egg mixture on top.
6 Top with 1/2 tsp jam in each muffin cup.
7. Bake for 12-17 minutes until golden.
8. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing from cups.
Makes 12 bites.
*Recipe and image courtesy of “Cooking with Trader Joe’s: Pack A Lunch!” by Celine Cossou-Bordes.*