Your guests will say olé! when they taste this quick-n-easy seared flank steak. It’s infused with south-of-the-border flavors of lime and garlic and is perfect served family-style for entertaining. Serve on its own paired with pinto beans and rice or with corn tortillas, lettuce, cotija cheese, pickled onions and radish slices for tacos, or substitute buns for the tortillas and make tortas. Either way, don’t forget to top it all off with lots of Creamy Pico de Gallo made with delicious lactose free Green Valley Organics Sour Cream.
Lime-n-Garlic Flank Steak with Creamy Pico de Gallo
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, divided (plus the zest) (about 4 to 6 limes)
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak or flatiron steak
3 medium tomatoes
1/3 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp. minced jalapeño pepper
1 cup Green Valley Organic Lactose Free Sour Cream
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1. Mix together 1/4 cup lime juice, lime zest, garlic, oil and salt in a 9X13 glass baking dish or re-sealable plastic bag. Add steak, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to eight hours.
2. Halve tomatoes and rinse under cold water to remove the seeds and pulp. Finely dice the tomatoes and mix in a bowl with onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper and remaining 1/4 cup lime juice. Add salt to taste.
3. Mix sour cream with pico de gallo, adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Heat a grill pan, cast iron skillet or outdoor grill to medium high heat. Add oil to pan or brush grates of the grill with oil. Sear steak, 3 to 4 minutes per side, for medium rare. Add 2 minutes per side, for medium. Flank and flatiron steaks are best when cooked medium rare to medium.
5. Allow the steak to rest 5 minutes before slicing against the grain. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a juicy, tender steak.
6. Arrange on a platter and top with creamy pico de gallo, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Creamy Pico de Gallo
For a quick-n-creamy dip for chips or a topping for steak, shrimp or chicken, mix about one cup Green Valley Lactose Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream with your favorite homemade or store bought pico de gallo or red salsa. Green salsa works great too!
PER SERVING (4 oz. steak with 1/4 cup creamy pico de gallo): 343 CAL; 25G PROT; 19G TOTAL FAT (9G SAT. FAT); 8G CARB; 76MG CHOL; 134MG SOD; 2G FIBER; 1G SUGARS
*Recipe and image courtesy of Green Valley Organics.*