Cancer is one of the top leading causes of death in the United States. Although the cause of most cancers remains a mystery, some cancers are indirectly linked to poor diet, lifestyle habits and lack of physical activity. By changing these factors you may be able to greatly reduce your risk. Diet is a huge component that can provide huge health gains and protection from several diseases. See what foods you should incorporate into your diet to be on your way toward cancer prevention and a healthier lifestyle.
• These little treats are packed with an antioxidant called anthocyanins that have been shown to prevent cancer and specifically colon cancer by decreasing the risk of metastases.
• Antioxidants also help reduce cell damage.
• Red grapes specifically have resveratrol which is an antioxidant that is useful in keeping cancer from spreading and growing.
• Grapes also have anti-inflammatory properties.
• This kid repellent vegetable contains indole-3-carbinol which has been shown to combat breast cancer.
• They also are packed with sulforaphane which is believed to help prevent cancer.
• Bugs Bunny must have known that carrots have immense health benefits. This vegetable is packed with beta carotene which has been linked to the reduction of lung, mouth, throat, stomach, prostate and breast cancer.
• Not just for warding off vampires, garlic is actually a powerful cancer fighting food. Garlic is packed with allicin which has been shown to reduce tumors.
• They also have antioxidants called allyl sulfides which reportedly suppress the growth of cancer cells.
• Contains an antioxidant called lignans which has been shown to remove carcinogens from the body.
• Also contains omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation are also shown to boost the immune system.
• Contain saponins which have been shown to slow the reproduction of cancerous cells
• They also contain phytica acid which studies reveal may prevent the reproduction of cancer cells.
• A diet high in lycopene which can be found in tomatoes has been linked to a decreased risk of prostate cancer.
Who knew eating could prevent various diseases? Remember: cancer is not always preventable, but you can lower your risk by changing your diet and lifestyle. Find delicious recipes that can assist you in incorporating these tasty foods into your diet.
About the Author
This article is from NorthShore University HealthSystem. NorthShore is an integrated health system with dedicated medical offices and hospitals in the Chicago area. NorthShore’s Kellogg Cancer Center offers comprehensive, compassionate cancer care for oncology patients and their families. Explore our personalized wellness services today at www.northshore.org.