With a new school year approaching, parents should take the time to learn the “facts of lice” and the natural measures that they can take to keep children lice free.
To help, here are some tips from Risa Barash, founder of Fairy Tales Hair Care:
• Teach children to never share hats, combs, pillows or helmets; doing so can transmit live lice. Remember, lice can survive off the human head for 24-36 hours.
• Keep long hair up in a braid or ponytail.
• Do not wash hair every day—lice attach themselves more easily to squeaky clean hair.
• Do weekly head checks to ensure early detection.
• Use hair care products designed to repel lice, such as Fairy Tales Hair Care’s Rosemary Repel collection. The all-natural formulas are infused with organic ingredients such as rosemary, tea tree and peppermint oils. They are free of nuts, soy, parabens, sulfate and gluten and are designed to be used by the whole family.
Those who order online can save 20 percent by entering the coupon code LICE20 at checkout.
To order, learn more or for a copy of “The Facts of Lice” booklet, visit www.fairytaleshaircare.com. Download the free “Facts of Lice” iPhone app to report and track local outbreaks.