Here’s a brilliant high protein snack in the under 200-calorie range. It’s a great post-workout recovery snack that won’t undo your burn, and a safe choice for people trying to keep steady blood sugar levels for weight management or diabetes. It’s also a great way to ease your way into plain yogurt if you’re trying to wean yourself from those fruity flavors that push you over the edge on your daily sugar budget.
Lactose-Free, Low-Glycemic Peanut Butter Chocolate Parfait
By Tamara Duker Freuman, MS, RD, CDN (www.TamaraDuker.com), June 2012
1 6oz container PLAIN Green Valley Organics® Lactose Free yogurt
2 TBSPs PB2® Powdered Peanut Butter (available at Amazon.com/grocery and health food stores nationwide; visit BellPlantation.com/locator to find PB2 at a store near you)
2 tsps dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp agave nectar
Optional: sliced banana and/or crushed peanuts for garnish
1. Using two small bowls, divide the yogurt into two equal parts.
2. In one half, mix in the PB2 until well-combined, and smooth out surface so that it is even
3. In the other half, mix in the cocoa powder and agave nectar
4. Layer the chocolate half atop the peanut butter half. (If using sliced banana, you can first place a layer of sliced bananas atop the peanut butter yogurt before adding the chocolate yogurt.
5. Garnish with crushed peanuts if desired, and enjoy!
*Recipe and image courtesy of Green Valley Organics.*
Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics are available at Whole Foods Markets, natural food stores and specialty grocers nationwide. To find a store near you, go to redwoodhill.com/store and greenvalleylactosefree.com/stores/