Ring in the season with peppermint-topped, chocolate cupcakes. Canola oil makes the cupcakes light and fluffy. These bite-sized, mouth-watering treats will get your guests in the mood to celebrate the holidays in style!
Mini Peppermint Cupcakes
1½ cups all-purpose flour (“Mom” prefers organic, unbleached flour)
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup cocoa powder (“Mom” prefers organic)
½ cup canola oil
1 cup skim milk (“Mom” prefers organic)
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp peppermint extract
½ cup heavy cream (“Mom” prefers organic)
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (“Mom” prefers organic)
1 Tbsp honey
½ Tbsp prepared coffee
½ cup coarsely crushed red and white striped hard peppermint candies or candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
2. Line mini cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In large bowl, mix canola oil, milk and vinegar.
4. Add half of dry ingredients into oil. When well combined, add peppermint extract. Slowly mix in remaining dry ingredients until fully combined and free of lumps.
5. Scoop batter into cupcake liners with small ice cream scoop or spoon. Bake cupcakes for 12 minutes. Cool completely on rack.
6. While cupcakes are cooling, make glaze. In saucepan, mix cream, chocolate, honey and coffee on low heat. Stir until smooth. Let cool.
7. Dip cooled cupcakes in chocolate glaze. Place on rack and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Let glaze harden.
Yield: 36 mini cupcakes.
Tip: To crush the peppermint candies, put them in a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin or use a food processor.
*Recipe and image courtesy of CanolaInfo.*