A gluten-free diet doesn’t have to mean resorting to expensive, specialty gluten-free products. Build meals around naturally gluten-free foods for a healthy gluten-free diet fit for your whole family.
Follow the MyPlate guidelines for a generally healthy diet:
• Start by filling half the plate with fruits and vegetables.
• Fresh fruits and vegetables are all naturally gluten-free.
• Canned and frozen plain vegetables are gluten-free, but avoid those with sauces and breading.
• Check labels of dried fruits, which may have added flour.
• Fill one-quarter of the plate with lean meat and beans.
• Choose fresh lean beef, pork, poultry, seafood, eggs, plain nuts, and dry and canned beans, which are all naturally gluten-free protein sources.
• Read labels carefully when selecting self-basting poultry, cold cuts, processed meats, and hot dogs, which may contain gluten.
• Fill one-quarter of the plate with whole grains.
• There are many gluten-free options appropriate for the whole family, including corn tortillas, grits, cornmeal, brown rice, puffed rice cereal, oats, and gluten-free flours, such as almond meal and rice flour.
• Fill in the gaps with gluten-free specialty products, including breads, crackers, cookies, baking mixes, cereal, and pasta.
• Add a serving of low-fat dairy.
• Choose low-fat milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.
• Avoid malted milk, and check the labels carefully on flavored milk and yogurt, cheese sauces and spreads – the additives in these products may contain gluten.
Many of the meals your family already enjoys may be gluten-free, and most meals can become gluten-free with just a few simple substitutions.
Does your family enjoy tacos regularly? Substitute corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas to make this meal gluten-free. Spaghetti night? Prepare homemade sauce and try spaghetti squash for a vitamin-packed pasta alternative. Lunchtime a problem? Make wraps using corn tortillas; sandwiches with rice cakes, cornbread, or gluten-free bread; or salads packed with vegetables, low-fat cheese, and rice or quinoa.
The eMeals Gluten-Free meal plan makes it simple to prepare gluten-free dinners utilizing basic, easy-to-find ingredients. eMeals provides seven mainstream dinner recipes and a shopping list every week, making it easy to shop for and prepare flavorful meals the whole family will enjoy. Download a free sample plan and see how eMeals can help you simplify gluten-free meal planning.