Parents are living a more fast-paced lifestyle focused on their children and extracurricular activities as the kids head back to school this fall. With this on-to-go lifestyle, it can be hard for parents to find time to cook for their families after a long day.
To help make the planning and preparation process easier, Cooking Planit is offering a few tips for busy parents. Cooking Planit is an important website and mobile app that provides home cooks with step-by-step instructions to create full meals, organizing the process for a more efficient cooking experience that leaves all dishes ready to serve at the same time. Essentially a “GPS for the kitchen”, users can filter by main ingredient, occasion, dietary restriction and type of dish, with each recipe showing a full list of ingredients and necessary cooking utensils.
5 Meal Planning Tips for Busy Parents
1. Prep Ahead: Organize your grocery list for each recipe that you intend to prepare. Prepare ingredients earlier in the day, or while you are prepping dinner the night before. Wrap chopped herbs or aromatics, like garlic and ginger, in damp paper towel in airtight container, and refrigerate. Then, go straight to cook mode come dinnertime.
2. Freeze It: So many recipes freeze well and defrost in minutes, providing fast and flavorful dinner solutions. Soup is my favorite because it can make a meal all on its own.
3. Opt for Seafood: Fish or shrimp cook quickly and have unique health benefits compared to chicken or red meat. Don’t be intimidated by making fish at home.
4. Hide Veggies: Kid’s might not dig into a big pile of broccoli, but you can put broccoli or other veggies into a delicious recipe and they’ll never realize how much healthy stuff they are eating too.
5. Keep It Interesting: It’s easy to get into a dinnertime rut, making the same 5 or 6 relied upon recipes over and over again. Keep kids coming to the table by surprising them with new recipes.