There is nothing Mom loves more than pumpkin-flavored anything as it turns to Fall! This lovely roasted pumpkin soup is no exception – with fresh pumpkin, sage, onions, and more – it is a delight to the senses both as it cooks and when you enjoy your first spoonful!
Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Basil Oil & Crispy Sage
5 cups of raw sugar pumpkin, cut into 1-inch chunks
10-15 sage leaves
2 tablespoons of grape seed oil
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup of unsalted butter (“Mom” prefers organic)
1 large onion, chopped
2 gloves of garlic, minced
6 cups of chicken stock
½ cup of half & half (“Mom” prefers organic)
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
5-6 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin chunks, sage leave, grape seed oil, and 5-finger pinches of salt and ground black pepper together until evenly coated.
3. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender and edges have browned.
4. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble, add the chopped onion along with 5-finger pinches of salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 13-15 minutes, stirring often, until caramelized and golden brown. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer until pumpkin is done roasting.
5. Add the roasted pumpkin chunks and half of the sage leaves to the simmering pot along with the half & half (reserve the other half of the sage leaves for garnish). Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer back to the pot to keep warm.
6. In a small food processor, pulse the olive oil and basil leaves until thoroughly blended. Serve the pumpkin soup with the basil oil and crispy sage leaves. Enjoy!
About Chef Ronnie Woo: Celebrity Chef from one of the nation’s largest LGBT networks, Logo TV. Ronnie is the host of “Food to Get You Laid” on Logo TV (a Viacom network) which airs Fridays at 9:30 PM ET. Recently seen on NBC’s “Food Fighters.”
*Recipe and image courtesy of Chef Ronnie Wo0.*