Here’s a delicious way to eat both your fruits and vegetables for National 5 a Day Month! This light and lively salad will be a hit with adults & kids alike!
Green Salad with Strawberries & Goat Cheese
• 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 6 cups baby spinach
• 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, (about 12 ounces)
• 1/3 cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans, (see Tip)
• 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Shara Aaron, MS, RD Author of The Baby Fat Diet (Alpha) and Chocolate – A Healthy Passion (Prometheus). Visit her blog at www.babyfatdiet.com.