Ricotta, Mushroom and Spinach Cannelloni
For the tomato sauce:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Two 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
For the cannelloni:
2 tablespoons olive oil
200g button mushrooms, chopped
200g fresh young spinach leave
300ml vegetable stock
50g quick-cook polenta
8 sheets fresh lasagna
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
LoSalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a medium saucepan then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and basil, bring to the boil and slowly cook for 15 minutes.
3. For the cannelloni filling, heat oil in a medium pan, add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to the boil, sprinkle in the polenta and whisk continuously for about 10 minutes until smooth and thick. Reduce heat and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
4. Cool and beat in the ricotta. Taste and season well. Use to fill each lasagne sheet (no need to cook it first!) along one short edge and roll up to enclose. Arrange the cannelloni rolls in an ovenproof dish and cover with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and cook in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until browned and bubbling.
5. Serve with a green salad.
*Recipe and image courtesy of LoSalt.*