7 Steps to a Smarter Kid
With kids headed back to school, it’s more important than ever to support their healthy development to ensure they have every advantage in school!
One of the most overlooked aspects of brain development is the effect of Omega-3 fatty acids on a child’s brain. A recent study shows the significant impact of omega-3 DHA in relation to a child’s vocabulary and comprehensive testing. Early intake of omega-3 supplements will benefit your child’s cognitive learning and may increase intelligence in their pre-school and school-aged years.
Karlene Karst, a mother, Registered Dietician and five-time published author on “Healthy Fats,” believes so strongly in the power of Omega-3’s that she developed her own line called Sea-Licious, which she gives to her two young boys every day! To help other parents, Karlene has outlined 7 steps parents can take to help build smarter kids by incorporating Omega-3’s into their everyday lives.
7 Steps to a Smarter Kid:
1. Supplement each day with ½ tsp. of pure Omega-3 oils. Sea-Licious is one of the tastiest and most powerful options on the market.
2. After age 1, begin to incorporate nut butters such as almond and sunflower as a way to increase healthy omega-3s. Nut butters can be spread on brown rice cakes, pita bread or sprouted grain bread for a delicious breakfast or snack.
3. Incorporate ground flaxseeds, chia and pumpkin seeds into baked goods such as muffins, loafs and cookies. They can even be added to soups and stews for additional fiber, protein and of course healthy fat.
4. Greek yogurt — such a delicious, healthy snack! You can incorporate a brand such as Sea-Licious right into the yogurt if your child doesn’t want to take their omega-3 oil on its own.
5. Smoothies — this is one of the easiest and delicious ways to pack a ton of nutrients into your child’s diet. As a base use organic milk or a dairy alternative such as rice, or almond milk. Load the smoothie up with spinach, berries, and add a banana for sweetness. You can also add the chia/flaxseeds as well as Sea-Licious right into the blender!
6. Serve fish such as halibut and salmon. There are many delicious ways to prepare it. Make it flavorful and your kids will love it!
7. Be your child’s role model — they will do what you do! If you are taking your Omega-3’s, so will your children! If you eat healthy, so will your children!
*Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net.*