Sundried Tomato, Brie and Arugula Panini
• Panini grill or large nonstick skillet
• Preheat panini grill to medium-high, if using, or preheat broiler
1 red bell pepper
2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄3 cup Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (page 269) 75 mL or store-bought
4 panini rolls or ciabatta buns, split
5 oz Brie cheese, thinly sliced 150 g
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup arugula 250 mL
1. Cut bell pepper into wide strips. Place on preheated panini grill or on a baking sheet, and grill or broil, turning once, until browned and tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Peel off skin and discard.
2. Add oil and garlic to pepper and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes to marinate.
3. Spread pesto on cut sides of rolls. Top with Brie and bell pepper, dividing equally and drizzling with any excess oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with arugula. Place tops on rolls to sandwich.
4. In batches as necessary, place on preheated panini grill or in a large skillet and heat, turning once if using skillet, until rolls are toasted and cheese is slightly melted. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Vegetarian Kitchen Table Cookbook by Igor Brotto and Olivier Guiriec © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
Photograph credit: © 2010 Les Éditions de l’Homme