The Cactus Salad with Portobello Mushroom is a unique and savory option for your next summer picnic offered at Talavera Restaurant, an authentic Mexican restaurant in Coral Gables. Anything but ordinary, this salad features a scrumptious toss of cactus, spinach, feta cheese and mushroom.
Cactus Salad with Portobello Mushroom (featured at Talavera Restaurant)
Recipe by: Executive Chef Oscar del Rivero
1 30 oz. jar of cactus
½ yellow onion, diced
½ Serrano pepper, finely chopped
½ bunch of cilantro, julienned
¼ cup of olive oil
4 oz. of lime juice, no pulp
salt to taste
1 Portobello mushroom cap
4 oz. of spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
1 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1. Rinse cactus to remove brine.
2. Combine cactus with tomatoes, onion, Serrano pepper, cilantro,olive oil, limejuice, salt and pepper to create mix. Refrigerate for 15minutes.
3. Grill Portobello mushroom for 30 seconds on each side. Let restuntil remove temperature. Slice into approximately 1 inch strips.
4. Mix 1 cup of cactus mix with 1 oz of spinach leaves on plate.
5. Fan mushroom around the edge of the plate.
6. Top with cherry tomatoes and feta cheese.
*Recipe and image courtesy of Executive Chef Oscar del Rivero at Talavera Restaurant.*