By Richard Blais
¼ cup flour (“Mom” prefers organic)
¼ cup butter (“Mom” prefers organic)
1. Melt the butter and add in the flour while cooking in a pan over low heat.
2. Continue to whisk the mixture until the flour’s color is tan and has a sand-like texture. Reserve.
Macaroni & Cheese
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
13 fl oz. low fat milk (“Mom” prefers organic)
1 /4 cup Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt
¼ cup roux (recipe above)
6 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded (“Mom” prefers organic)
1oz. cream cheese (“Mom” prefers organic)
¼ tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1. Cook elbow macaroni in boiling salted water per box instructions and then chill under cold water. Set aside.
2. Bring the milk to a boil. Then reduce the heat and whisk the roux into the hot milk. After the roux and the milk are fully combined, mix in the cream cheese and the Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt. Once this mixture starts to thicken, remove it from the heat and whisk in the shredded cheese, garlic salt, white pepper, and nutmeg.
3. Add the chilled macaroni to the sauce.
Yield 4-6 servings
*Recipe and image courtesy of Richard Blais and Oikos®, which is a registered trademark of Stonyfield Farm, Inc. and used under license by The Dannon Company, Inc.*